I’ve always been too fast and too smart for my own good. That kid that wants to get involved in everything. And now I am at the age where that translates into being the woman with all of the ideas and the mentality that she can do them all. Superwoman, basically.
At the beginning of this year, I wrote a blog post titled YOU DO TOO MUCH!! in which I talked about how I was used to people telling me I have too many ideas and get involved in too many things. It was me saying to the world that I am a passionate whirlwind and I intend on continuing to be.
But let me just tell you what I’ve realised only seven months later – you do too much, and it is not a good thing.
What is the point of dipping your toes in multiple pools but not actually swimming in any of them?
I am reminded of a phrase that I love to hate and hate to love – ‘Jack of all trades, master of none‘. I do not want to be someone who can do lots of things but nothing well. I am not saying I am that person but as of late, I saw myself becoming that person.
Like I mentioned in my last blog post, I have been very overwhelmed by my new job alongside all my other projects. I got stuck in my head after comparing myself and my craft to other bloggers, YouTubers and photographers and kept feeling like I fell WAYYYY short.
I’ve had people near and dear to me encourage me, and I’ve also encouraged myself (shoutout to Donald Lawrence ).
I have come to realise – You’re doing great, sweetie. Don’t be in a rush, hun x
I am doing just fine – all things considered. And the only person I need to be comparing myself to is myself.
Am I the same person as last year? Am I progressing? Am I becoming the woman God made me to be?
That’s the ONLY standard I need to be looking at!
After speaking to my friend Yemisi, who is the Founder of Lively Stones UK, I began to learn practical ways to overcome this feeling of helplessness and feeling overwhelmed. And I thought I would share them with you!
Practical ways to overcome feeling overwhelmed:
- LISTS ARE YOUR FRIENDS! – write down to-do lists, lists of things you need to accomplish, time tables etc. Basically write it all down! The Bible literally says “write the vision, make it plain”.
- WHAT’S COMING UP AHEAD? – Plan your ideas and projects by asking yourself what the future for it is. Think about it in terms of time scales: Is this a year long plan, 2 months, a week?
- BE PREPARED – if you start a new blog/vlog series, try and write or record two or three parts before announcing it. When Yemi said this one, it REALLY hit home because I have stopped so many series’ that I start on my YouTube channel or this blog just because I realised that I didn’t have the time to do it or I don’t realise where it is going anymore. If I had planned ahead and been prepared, I could have avoided that.
- IF YOU NEED TO TAKE A BREAK, TAKE A BREAK! – this is very much self explanatory! Take a break, have a Kit Kat. Sometimes you just need to step back, block out the noise and keep to yourself for a bit. It is very healing.
- TO QUOTE MJ, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, I AM HERE WITH YOU! – A couple of weeks after having my lil moment about my blog and channel, I saw someone tweet some similar things to how I was feeling at the time. I was astonished to learn that other people feel the same way I did. Girl. Boy. You are not alone – everyone feels overwhelmed some times. You just may not see it, but believe that it happens. Just do not stay overwhelmed.
If you take anything away from this, remember, everyone gets overwhelmed. Just don’t stay overwhelmed.
Paula Melissa xx